When we think of a diet that helps us to lose weight we usually associate this with the thought of going hungry. Yes at times there is a certain degree of discomfort but for the majority of the time, you can help to avoid the hunger feeling and eventually the binge. Here are some tips that might help:
1) Food Diary – Try and be mindful of what you eat. If you are aware of what you eat you are more likely to keep the hunger under control. You should be able to differentiate between craving food and being hungry.
2) Eat Regularly – You do not need to eat 6 meals a day, but smaller more regular meals can help to control hunger. The longer you leave between meals the more the hunger can start to build and overeating can occur.
3) Water – Ensure you are hydrated throughout the day as people can confuse hunger with thirst.
4) Sleep – If you become sleep deprived then you are more likely to overeat especially if you are chasing an energy boost. When you’re tired you make poorer / sluggish decisions especially in food as you can’t be bothered to cook so you go for the more convenient option, plus you then usually stop tracking.
5) Keep Busy – Plan out your day and try to keep busy, schedule in your workouts/ walks and downtime. This should control the hunger, as if you sit in front of a T.V. for hours on end and you are watching advertisements about Coke and pizza, then you are going to start having cravings for them.
6) Increase Protein in Meals – Protein can help to suppress your appetite. Try and get protein into each meal, especially breakfast.
7) Chew Food rather than Drink It – We get a better sensation of fullness when we chew and eat solid food rather than drinking a protein shake, for example. This is due to food having a longer contact period with the taste buds. Word of warning – it is also very easy to over consume calories when they are broken into liquid.
8) Timing – When do you start to get hungry? If you start to get hungry an hour before lunch then I recommend that you up your calories for breakfast. Seems very simple but can be very effective. Plan snacks into your day as well, especially if you are in a job where your breaks are not fixed.
Hopefully you found this article helpful and it will help you to avoid the hunger pain, keeping you on track.